School Liaison Officer
https://www.facebook.com/navycyp/?ref=page_internalThe School Liaison Officer (SLO) works to connect commanders, educators, and parents. They serve as the subject matter experts for K-12 education issues. The SLO's primary function is to provide transition support to DoD-eligible families with school-age children to ensure smooth transitions between schools and positive educational experiences. The SLO can provide numerous resources to assist families, educators, and commands in their efforts to create positive and supportive educational environments for military children.
Download the Spring SLO 2021 Newsletter (PDF opens in new tab/window)
Navy School Liaison Officers Provide Seven Core Services to Assist Families:
- School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
- Deployment Support: School Liaison Officers connect educators with the Navy deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.
- Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaison Officers serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school, and community resources.
- Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaison Officers assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on homeschooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts, and help leverage Navy Child and Youth Programs resources to support these families.
- Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth. The role of the School Liaison Officer in the PIE program is to serve as a conduit between Navy commands, schools, and CYP to establish relationships among the individuals and organizations involved in PIE initiatives such as “Adopt-A-School,” Career Day speakers, “Saturday Scholars,” and Job Shadowing.
- Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military-connected students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
- Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaison Officers provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.
Permanent Change of Station
If your family is planning a PCS move, don’t forget to formally withdraw your child(ren) from their school. In most cases, you will receive a withdrawal or transfer packet with important information from your child’s school file that will make it easier to enroll in the new school. For more tips on how to make school transitions as smooth as possible, contact the school liaison officer.
Moving OCONUS with school-aged children? DoDEA’s online registration system allows parents to pre-register their dependents for school in a secure online environment. This system is also beneficial in providing the receiving schools with advance awareness of student enrollment. Pre-register your child for school today through the online registration system.
The Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP) provides support and funding for the education of authorized command-sponsored dependents of military members and Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees assigned to overseas areas where no DoDEA school is available within the commuting area. At these locations, DoDEA supports a variety of options for children ranging from homeschool programs to public or private schools. Approval for the enrollment of an eligible minor dependent of a DoD sponsor must be obtained from DoDEA NDSP office prior to enrolling a child in a non-DoD school. Enroll your child today using this online registration system for NDSP.
Youth Sponsorship Program
Click here to read a welcome letter from the Naval Support Activity South Potomac School Liaison Officer.
For our elementary, preteen, and teen community, the Youth Sponsorship Program adds in an element of social support. We strive to make contact with youth before they move, so when they arrive, we can immediately connect them with peers who are already participating in the installation, school, or community programs. Connect through your School Liaison Officer for School-Based Programs and your Youth Program for installation programs. CLICK HERE to request a Youth Sponsor.
Local School Information
|School Listings for Local Area||Checklist for School Moves||College Planning Timeline|
|Registration Information||Helping Children with Change||College and Career Search|
|Graduation Requirements||Homework Help and Study||Test Preparation|
|Home Schooling||Youth Sponsorship||Paying for College|
- Military Child Care: www.militarychildcare.com
- School Liason fro all branches https://www.dodea.edu/
- Military Interstate Children’s Compact Commission: www.mic3.net
- Military One Source – Pre-K – 12 Education Information: http://www.militaryonesource.mil/education-and-employment/pre-k-12-education
- Military Teens Connect: www.militarykidsconnect.dcoe.mil/teens
- Department of Defense Education Activity: www.dodea.edu
- School Liaison Officer Worldwide Listing: https://www.dodea.edu/Partnership/index.cfm
- Free Online Homework Help: www.tutor.com
- Special Education: www.specialedconnection.com
- Federal Student Aid: https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- Navy Exceptional Family Member Program: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/efm/Pages/default.aspx
- Anchored4Life: https://anchored4life.com/
- Military Impacted Schools Association: http://militaryimpactedschoolsassociation.org/
- Navy MWR: www.NavyMWR.org
- Navy Child and Youth Programs: http://www.navycyp.org/
- Homeschooling Legal Defense Association: www.hslda.org
- Find school information worldwide at this official source for installation and local information: www.militaryinstallations.dod.mil